Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dinner at Cafe China

Cafe China is a brand new Szechuan restaurant opened at 13 East 37th street..
 It was reviewed by New York Time two weeks ago, and got two stars. I wanted to give it a try since, and finally went last nite. When I first walked in, the decor got my attention. It tried to capture the old Shanghai feel. It was unique in the neighborhood. The food itself is somewhat average, not as good as what I expected. And also, maybe due to the fact that the restaurant is new. The waiters seem a little slow, and  unprepared. It usually took me a few minutes to get the waiters attention.
Szechuan pork dumpling in chili oil
Not spicy enough, not as good as
 Szechuan Gourmet two blocks away.

2046
Grey Goose Pear Vodka, rosemary & juniper berry infused syrup,
lime juice. I love the drink, on the strong side. The drinks here
are tiny with a priced tag $12 each.
Most of the cocktails here are name after Wong Kar Wai's movies. Like 2046,
In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express etc. 




Crispy Savory Fish

breaded sole with hot & sour sauce on the side

Mung bean jelly in garlic and roasted peppercorn chili oil
I like this dish, finally something that actually spicy
and was only $5.00

Sautéed String Beans

Tea smoked duck
The favor of the duck itself was tasteful. The only problem was there's no
meat. All I got was fat, and bone. Also, $19 for less then a quarter of duck seem overpriced.
Soicy Baked Fish- whole tilapia with bamboo shoots, mushroom &
cumin. Best dish of the evening, Sharp-tasting, spicy. Fish is tender, and fresh. Love it!!

Sweet Potato Cake
Too greasy

Wine Rice Balls with Sesame and red bean
I didn't taste the wine, and they were not much different than the frozen  one
you can buy in Chinese super market. My friend Lynda suggested
perhaps it would have been better if there had been a bit of ginger to bring out the taste of the wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment